Sunday 17 April 2011

Here you go...F o u r A t e F i v e down below!

After about a year since I first came across a great review on a small cafe in Surry Hills that serves "all day breakfast" from the Sydney Weekender, and a frantic search on Google for that one cafe photo print from the paper that was stuck in my head just because I totally forgot the name...I finally found it! Four Ate Five is the small yet "home-y" style cafe I've been raving about! Situated in a young and stylish neighborhood-Surry Hills-it's one of the most popular cafes people love going to. Its name may sound queer, but interesting and easy to remember. It made more sense to me when I saw its street number! Haha! Yes. See, now you know! I've read heaps of great reviews on this place from service, food, coffee, and ambiance. From my experience...I would rate it a dancing 9 out of 10.
 Hungry and...really hungry, my boyfriend and I trekked the steep hill of Crown Street to get here. I swear I had a complete leg workout and felt like an Iron Woman afterwards! So as usual, with our fantastic searching skills, we walked passed it...stood still, curiously studied the street numbers that went on after 485 and wondered where on earth it was! Oh well, that does explain real hunger! Luckily, we didn't go too far from it. Just a few steps backwards...we had a great sigh of relief. The place was just what I pictured it to be, small, comfy, and unique! We were warmly greeted by the waitress and sat us on that spot right next to the window with a beautiful view of Crown Street that was like a runway frequently graced by stylish individuals! Pretty interesting!
Another rather interesting thing about this cafe is this pastry shelf set up right on the glass window and next to the widely opened door. Not entirely hygienic but hey, I eat street food in the Philippines so I guess this one isn't too bad after all! It is as a matter of fact a clever idea to draw customers in, as they are so easily spotted by passersby.

Since it was 11am and we haven't had brekky yet, we were definitely up for a big meal to satisfy our hunger pangs!
Darwin loved his beef burger, and so did I! The patty was really moist and tender. The chips were average, but the beetroot and onion relish gave a surprising kick to it! That sweetness and acidity of beetroot combined with the classic spice of onions burst like a firecracker in my mouth! Superb flavor! 
My Mexican Breakfast was adventure served on a plate! I had a smile on my face when I first eyed upon the massive twin egg on top! Most probably, I've just been one of the hundred that did when they once ordered this. It tasted as good as it looked too! It had bacon cooked beautifully tossed with onions, tomato, mushrooms, avocado, and rocket. There was sourdough topped with flavoursome salsa and of course, Mexican beans! I must say, the paprika gave it a real feisty look! It surely made a whole lotta difference in terms of presentation. With a fairly reasonable price, it looked good, tasted fantastic, and my tummy was well and truly satisfied! 

I am most definitely looking forward to another fruitful trek to this place and be surprised by another meal and perhaps a cup of coffee or tea to go with it.